1. Hi and Welcome to the New and Improved Guitar Chaos for 2015. Feel free to login and get more familiar with the changes. We are sure you will love the new and improved Guitar Chaos! ATM we are a little unsure if you are able to login using your old passwords. So to be on the safe side from being locked out for 15 mins. If you fail to login after 2 attempts. Please Reset your passwords by clicking "Forgot your password?" in login section. Changes will be made to addons/styles in the coming days, but, this will not effect creating new posts/threads. So feel free to post away! Thanks for your patience.

Living Colour - Cult of Personality Cover

Discussion in 'Cover Songs' started by Axe2Grind, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Axe2Grind

Axe2Grind Beginner Guitarist

Hi Guys,

Had a bash at another cover and this time from another fav band I loved back in the 80's. I had a couple Living Colour's albums and this tune along with a few off the Stain album got plenty of air time on my headphones :) Must admit I'm not a massive fan of Vernon Reid's solo playing and his alternate playing is weird in my book so this is very much my own take on this tune and having a fixed bridge axe, I can't do those whammy out of tune things that he does (good job really lol!) but tried to stay true to his solo style that my abilities allowed.

Anyway, for those who know and like this tune and band, hope you like :)

Justin.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. napoleonboot

napoleonboot Slightly Weird

Very pro sounding Justin, as always. Where did you get the drums, vox etc. ?

Axe2Grind likes this.
  3. Axe2Grind

Hi George, thanks very much! I got the isolated vocal track from youtube, there are a ton of isolated vocal tracks on youtube for various songs. Came across the vocal for this track and thought it would make a good cover project. I programmed the drums myself using dimension pro instrument plugin in Sonar and a drum patch called 'Real Drum Kit' from the Emu Proteus library you can get for dimension. Bass was also a Sonar Bass guitar plugin and of course my axe and little pedalboard. Real basic setup as always.

Thanks for commenting matey, really appreciate it! :)

Justin.

4. Bearman007

Bearman007 Premium Member

Sounds good Justin, great riffing here! Stayed true to the style, even without the whammy bar. Of my favorite songs, good jam.

Axe2Grind likes this.
  5. Lvo57

Lvo57 Premium Member

Awsomealways liked this song, a sweet rendition!

Axe2Grind likes this.
  6. Axe2Grind

Hey Guys, thanks very much for checking it out, tried to stay as close to the original minus the whammy stuff. Always loved this tune myself, its got a great groove to it and the Living Colour vocalist has always been superb.

7. USF70

USF70 Member

amazing cover and great playing as always in your posts ! i always enjoy listening to what you do ! good job and keep on posting stuff !!! living colour is one of my all times best bands :)

Axe2Grind likes this.
  8. jimbop

jimbop Fat barsturd!

checked out band/song before I listened to this as I never heard of em lol...well....me not impressed!
    how they rave about Vernon is beyond me.

on to the cover...that sounds a good project idea, isolated vox then building the track up. did you enjoy doing the drums or was it a necessary Burden? lol
    your guitar was bang on for his style mate, only yours was 100% better!! so much more melodic!

Axe2Grind likes this.
  9. Axe2Grind

Hey USF / Jimbo,

Thanks very much for listening and comments :)
    Jim, I know where you're coming from with regard to Vernon Reid's playing. I dig some of his rhythm work and compositions, but soloing, guitar tone, especially on this track, I am not a massive fan. I opted for doing my own thing on this cover albeit with attempting to add a little of his influence in there to get a bit of the original song vibe but if it were purely my own song I would have slowed the soloing down a bit and added more bluesier funkier ideas in there like what Prince (God rest his talented soul!) would do. Drums defo necessary burden mate, pretty tedious when doing the fills, for me doing drums is the hardest part of doing a cover and still learning drum programming tbh.

Justin.

10. Ender

Ender Aspiring Underwear Model

Very well done Jason, I always liked the rhythm work on this tune but I remember the solo was a bit controversial among guitarists. I was sort in-between on it but I thought the bar work was a bit goofy in spots. I like what you did here much better for the solo, the original made my ear go "huh?"

Axe2Grind likes this.
  11. Axe2Grind

Hey Eric, thanks very much Bro! exactly the same thoughts on the original solo....

12. macman

macman Premium Member

Awesome work on this Justin, love your tones and your style, this rocks!

Axe2Grind likes this.
  13. Axe2Grind

Thanks very much Mark! :)

14. HammerHead

HammerHead Premium Member

You nailed it. Good stuff. Sent me back to my stoned cowboy daze!

Axe2Grind likes this.
  15. Axe2Grind

Lol, thanks for checking it out HH...

16. stingx

stingx Member

Fuck this is badass!